This is the letter received by all “Blue” flight crew members, management pilots and above, from an anonymous Delhi-based “Blue” pilot who has voiced out his dissatisfaction with the treatment received at the airline. This mail follows certain hushed-up resignations of senior management pilots from the airline. A sign of trouble at the top? Maybe.
This e-mail has already spread beyond the airline’s walls, with many non-“Blue” pilots bearing a copy, as well as few other bloggers posting about this (CLICK HERE) as early as October 1st. Being anonymous, the contents cannot be verified or ascertained. But the specific mention of people, notices and other details adds certain credibility to the letter.
This letter has been published that people may be made aware of hidden levels of dissatisfaction that may run in an airline: any airline, for that matter. The intent of this post is neither to support nor blemish any airline, individual or group, but to better understand the emotions of flight crew. After all, the safety rests in the hands of the men and women at the front end of the airplane.
Dear Mr. “Blue-promoter” Hello , how are you doing? As an owner of the company you never bothered to interact with your employees. Never tried to find out the working conditions and never thought of finding the ground realities. So we thought of reaching you, just to give a picture of what is happening in your company.The news of profit which your Pawn has shared with all, is good for you. What is good in this news for others. We continue to draw the same money for so many years now, where as you guys have filled your lockers by sucking our blood day and night. It was quite an amusement to see the fancy figure of 787. We won’t be surprised if later it turns out be exaggerated figures like that of Satyam. Remember you can not erect an empire with blood of your workers. If you want success it has to be your sweat. Few years back you made a smart move by introducing Benevolent fund but that does not provide immunity to the pilots against atrocities by your business house, across the board with all the workers.You also must be very well aware about the unhappiness among the employees right from loader to the Pilot but you are blind folded and busy in making lots and lots of money. We were waiting to listen it from the horse’s mouth and now since you have said it it’s time for us to put forth our demands. We are group of 150 strong pilots and number is increasing. Soon you will get the taste of our strength and let me assure you that this would stall your free run so far, which you have achieved not because of your hard work but just because of sheer luck. We are soon going to submit a memorandum to DGCA and ICAO signed by all of us, highlighting the exploitation been done by you wherein pilots are made to operate flights with minimum rest under threat of Salary deduction. Also a copy of it would be provided to media to make the flyers aware against this safety hazard. The so called quality of life is being enjoyed by the management pilots only and at the level of Line Pilots the situation is real bad. The inflation has gone up many fold but you just give increment of Rs 5000/- per year. Have some shame. The low cost model is for passengers. You can not expect the employees to draw low salaries. Even govt is coming out with 7th Pay Commission for its employees and have already given a 10% DA hike now making it 90 % DA. Why don’t you sell of your BMW and start moving around in a TATA NANO that is also low cost. Also start staying in studio apartment without any Curtains that would be super low cost. Your management treat us like pupils. What authority CEO has to stop people from Smoking in Uniform. If that is the case then we should not even urinate wearing your uniform. FaceBook is a public forum. People keep posting nuisance about PM of this country but he minds his work. Why CEO is so interested in people’s personal FB accounts. It’s better if he keeps himself to cabin crew only. Do not try to be our father. We are professionals and not drivers. One needs to treat us with dignity and not like inmates of Tihar (jail). You can not keep treating us like dogs. This business of threats for every thing, be it for flight or Sick report, can not work for ever. If you guys are so calculative then let me give you some food for thought.
1. Why the King pilots were paid Hefty joining bonus when every one knew market situation was bad. These pilots were working for King without salaries and would have joined without any Bonus. Also if some one is without a Job, he would accept any base you offer him. Which could have saved lot of Temporary duty from other bases and Dead Head allowance, where was your calculation that time. Why every one was given Delhi. Against every Pilot joining some one made good money in name of Reference Commission. Who were these guys XXXXXX and XXXXXXX? Where were your calculations at that time.
2. The famous Uniform Scam at Blue. Who made money in providing that sub standard worthless uniform. First all new joiners were given Blazers and within a year those were replaced by new uniform. It was a good money making exercise which we had seen years ago in INDIAN AIRLINES. first the name was changed to Indian. Every thing right from paint of AC, interiors, stationary, uniform etc was changed and with in a year changed again to Air India. Where was all your calculation that time.
3. Mr. XXXXXX also took his share of cake. HotelX Mumbai was giving such a deal which no Hotel could offer, but Mr. XXXXXX changed the hotel before leaving to Hotel 2. coincidentally the same group which he joined and another coincidence was all of a sudden the layovers in Mumbai went up many fold. He must have promised some X number of rooms. Where was your intelligence at this time.
4. If you are low cost why you keep arranging company parties. Rather utilize this money for some other cause. It’s become more of family outing for XXXXXX and other management pilots and has nothing to do with other pilots. Rather station parties are forced on people. This is the only airlines where senior commanders get same salary as the newly released commanders. There has to be some incentive for senior pilots. Rather you guys have made it a school where management is more interested in checking uniform, ties and belts. Conducting online annual exams etc etc. Low cost Airlines should not have all these tantrums. So far you guys have been very successful in exploiting us but now the market it changing. Remember no one is invincible. You can not stay at top for ever and especially by crook. Yours is a self proclaimed best place to work. Best of the empires in this world have fallen and best of the companies have vanished overnight. One mass sick report would give you the taste of power which pilots possess. Still there is time that you guys mend your ways. Last time some one sent you some stupid ???? but they were bunch of guys who tried to seek support and help of other pilots but people backed out. But this time we are strong 150 Pilots and I am sure many would join us the day we present our selves. Do not be surprised if soon you see a news of PIL being filed by our group against Blue-parent just to find out your money making MANTRA . How when all others are bleeding you are making money. Govt. should be aware of this business model so that Air India could be run using this model and tax payers money given to AirIndia could be saved. Entire nation today is talking about inflation, even Govt has admitted it and has given DA to its employees. Jet has revised salaries from 2010, but you guys are sitting and watching every thing. You people just want to pocket more and more money without realizing that people who work for you also need regular pay hikes. Enough is enough.
1. We demand 40% hike in our salaries.
2. Withdraw Notice XX immediately . No deduction in salary for what ever may be the reason.
3. No flights with minimum rest. No change of flights once roster published. Have a PILOTS RESERVE list priority wise available on line for every one’s access. If one reserve Pilot refuses the flight other may be asked and no action against the first one. If all refuse to accept the flight then only punitive action is acceptable. Refusal by email only and Refusal by first reserve to be notified to the next pilot.
4. Removal of X X XXXXX, XXXXXX, XXXXX, XXXX and XXXXXX from Scheduling staff immediately.
5. Removal of Mr. CEO. If CEO cannot be removed then you better keep him to yourself and ask him to stop interfering in Pilots life and do not try to be our Father. If CEO is so found of flying better get him a DGCA license. Tell him not to send us those use less mails strait from his heart which goes straight to the trash bin.
6. Provide us with better uniform and revert back to Blazer and also change the funny looking pilot applets.
7. No 3 day night outs max night out of 01 night. Tie up with better hotels especially in Bangalore and Chennai. All night out hotels to be within 10 to 15 minutes traveling time fron the hotel to give max rest to pilots. Not like Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata where one has to travel one hour one way.
8. Bring management pilots at par with line pilots as far as flying is concerned why do they fly less hours when CEO is running the entire show single handily then let the management pilots fly. Management pilots to do same night outs as any other line pilot. Also make their office at Airport rather then XXX where they sit and waste time. Let them be available to all line Pilots.
9. Treat all Ex Air force Pilots and other civil pilots with respect. CEO to apologize through email addressed to all for his misbehavior in past. Success is getting into his head but do not forget we have made you successful, you have not made us.
10. To give priority to original Blue CoPilots for upgrade. Any one joining from outside joins at the end of seniority list.
11. No more threatening behavior with Pilots, treat them with proper respect and dignity as professionals. Withdrawal of Notac XX and Admin Notice XX. Stop defining code of conduct.
12. No Mr. CEO lectures or any other management lectures during refresher. Make refresher more meaningful rather then a mere formality. No online test before refresher. You cannot expect pilots to fly at minimum rest and then attempt online test also .We are humans and not Computers which you can shut down after last flight and reboot after minimum rest.
13. Some X number of confirmed travel tickets on Blue flights without any ifs and buts. These are demands of all the pilots and if you have any doubt you can circulate it to every one and ask their views. If you want to earn more and more money we will help you fulfill your dream but not in a way so far you have been behaving with us. Try to actually win hearts of your employees and not by conducting surveys and declaring self proclaimed winners. Leave this cheapness and think of a better future. We are giving you dead line till end of this year or be ready for a surprise. All the demands have no scope of compromise and have to be fulfilled. Do not expect chain of emails between management and us. This is the zest(gist?). Rest you are intelligent enough. Pilots are Bonds.
quite evidently written by Dahli (delhi) crew 😉
Sridhar Thirumalai said:
Its really very bad we must treat the employee with safety measure and follow the best practices if you really wants best out of them.
as narrated in the letter shows CEO interference with flying staff not at all good shine.
Till now no competeters in avaition for indigo and this is right time to get to be number one in india for which right job for the right person specially check rostering staff.
In the forthcoming year things are going to change avation is going blooming up once again in india there many airlines are coming up need to be more concerned to keep up the position of airlines.
Nice######. Pilots r humans, not machines, have to get their rest properly. And should be treated with dignity, they r not children.
nice ..honest.. like it ..all the best……
Very Well written Letter ! And I can relate it with deccan and KF, being a x staff, more or less the same thing happened with both airlines, eventually the airlines were shut down due to loss .. , I request the management to research about the above mentioned issue.
True,more nd more to be written to dgca nd C A ministry.feedback should be taken from other Airlines by a neutral authority .b cos seen nd working conditions are more or less same.
It is ridiculous to put your dirty laundry for everyone to comment on. If you have so many problems, you are free to look elsewhere. You don’t do so becauz in ur heart u kno that u r in one of the best airlines to work for. U don’t like the parties but hav u realised that they r there precisely to giv elements like u an informal atmosphere to speak up. If u don’t hav the guts, then don’t blame the parties. U get ur salaries always on time, ask those who get them after a few months or not at all. How about leaving the 2 week off plan and going off? How about leaving the best benevolent program among all airlines and going off. The reality is u just want to crib – nothing else. This is the only airline where u can pick up the phone and speak to anyone in management right upto mr G. How many airlines offer that? Face the reality mate, all u get is becauz the airline makes money. If that requires u to fly with minimum rest at times so be it. It is the law of the land. The choice is between working like this and getting the salary and perks on time or doing two sectors returns at 10 am and not getting paid after a few months. This is the reality mate and u need to live with it. Why threaten with tata sia. A few days back someone was threatening with air Asia India. How about joining that? What hotels are u cribbing about – Oberoi in Calcutta? Some of ur own colleagues will lynch u for taking them away from it. Trident in Bombay – Oberoi group hotel? How many airlines offer such hotels anymore? Don’t seek conspiracies everywhere – I is where it is becauz of some very smart thinking and u r aware of it and part of it. Som ppl r talking of breaking this monotony and monopoly. This is wat happens if u bring out ur dirty laundry when there is a gud washing machine available in house. Grow up and don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg.
You have some very good points. Thank you for this angle.
Very well said, Harry. Its a shame of what is written by this person.
Try walking in someone else’s shoes and see what it takes to make an Airline profitable. People are just used to thinking about themselves rather than a common good. Probably very used to working with Airlines which are not profitable
The picture painted is not the real IndiGo. The real IndiGo is where people talk to everyone, not waiting for hierarchy. People see the senior leadership team working alongside not just once on a while or just their pictures on websites
Disgusting to know that people just never count their blesings
A point well said. I too have heard fairly good things about Blue. Probably the person who wrote this letter anonymously was seeking the level of comforts that were associated with the industry, long before the concept of low cost and high efficiencies came into the picture. It is very common for people to forget their blessings, and curse the very people who hired them and gave them a job. The reason why the person joined Blue is very evident: because it was the best option available. Now taking a U-turn on his opinion of the company is unfortunate, but very common. Thank you for your views.
atleast Pilots have some increments every year but crew has nothing as such
harry,s follower said:
captain harry you r the true manager bcz you r bieng paid for this only to supress this view of the pilots you cannot put away the storm which is bieng biult in your company i have came across many letter of this kind in indigo and latter found out that was true and same it is there yes you r right that this the only company which allows you to speak publicly no other company allows you or the manager or the management to speak publicly instead of threatning the pilots with dire you should have listened to ppl with their valid points i know you since the days of indian airline that you are stubborn and adolf type of man not even listening to your co.pilot even if he is right and you only try to prove your copilot wrong there was one more point also which can even land you and your promoters in jail that you not even giving maternity leave to the lady pilots and have bounded your airhostess not to marry during the time prieod you r serving in the company just because you want your pilot can fly all the time without even minmum rest and want your airhostess to be looking young for ever for ever, for your imformation these rule which you and your company has made is against the constitution of india chapter 6, and someone might be even filling the the pil in court and what laundry your talking about which you wear everyday same old shirt with the dirt sir , humlble request first look into your self that r u doing the right thing be supressing the distressed pilots voice common now is the time to wake up or alse indigo will perish like king and deccan one day
Its right and it goes for cabin crew as well. So less salary and they trat them like they are indigo’s property which is totally wrong.they should decrease their strictness and should start not to give pressure to crew for following the SOP. I am a crew’s relative and I know everything about it.
Aishwarya Singh said:
I was a part of the airline,i survived for just 2 years and 6 months,they treat us like school kids and respect is something they haven’t heard of,i complained against a trainer because she misbehaved with me and they made somehow made me leave the job
Soo bad .. Bad airline …
Mohammad Iqbal said:
Rubbish,people like you are the reason for the failure of Airlines in India.In India the problem is every Pilot wants to be the Boss with the powers to twist the arm of the airline just to show that they are important
Flying is an honorable profession. But in India, it is given too much importance, probably far in excess of what it may deserve. I do agree with your views. Many do wish to show their importance. Over-importance, maybe? Thank you for your views.
Sagar Paranjpe said:
I think they are number 1 only because they have a strict discipline…. The CEO is not interfering but actively getting involved.. if the pilots are not happy they are free to leave.. after all they are not married to this company… The ones who complain are the people who are losers and cannot say in front of face hence these kind of impotent acts…Best companies are built on a code of conduct … These same guys who say that these parties are useless do not understand that the parties are there for getting a informal atmosphere where you can have a greater bonding…If the parties are not there, these same guys would curse the company… Brother if you do not like leave the company.. nobody is forcing you to work with a gun on your head…or better start your own company then… do not try to become a Mahatma Gandhi… Loser
Mahatma Gandhi is believed to have said, “Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding”. You have a good point, I do wish Indian aviation sees more people like you. Thank you for your views.
737 PILOT said:
Its very wel said, Now a days companies are like blood suckers and mind u all if Pilot will be in stress during flying then GOD knows wat can happen. So please dear companies TREAT all Pilots are like professional and Humans. Pilot job is very prestigious and challenging. Respect the profession !!!! And request to Pilots also DO NOT TAKE ANYONE’S SHIT !!
Mohammad Iqbal said:
Its not just the Pilots job thats is important but others too, The baggage loaders who have to load 300 or more pcs of baggage in minutes is important too (Can u fly without there help), Are Engineers less important than pilots ( Try flying without them), Are checkin staff less important (Try flying without them), Are security staff less important (Try flying without them)
I dont know why Pilots think that its a One Man job.Its a Teamwork man.people with your kind of mentality end up like real failures in Life.
I am really surprised that people can hide their inabilities under the shard of false stories. I have not come across a more open organisation than the Blue as quoted.
I think if you have issues one should be man enough to talk at the correct forum rather than spreading false rumours.
Much disappointed with my team mates false rumour mongering.
Very well said. If the person really had an issue, he should have raised it with the concerned. If any employee is dissatisfied, they have two options: to stay, or leave the organization. Such unsolicited emails have an impact on flight safety: by sending it to every flight crew member in the airline, it spreads a negative message and probably even makes the happy-go-lucky pilot feel that he is in a hell-hole. Thank you for your views.
Aishwarya Singh said:
I dont think this is false at all,this is the reality,thats the reason so many employees have already left or they dont have an option so they dont leave,this company does not know how to retain their employees.Open your eyes now before its too late
If this is the situation “Highly Paid” pilots Suffers,. What about the Aircraft Mechanic?For the Last 5 yrs they given 2K increment and 8500 is the present salary.!!!!!!!!!Can any one believe ?
very wel said….technicians r de low paid category in indigo even less than cleaners!!!!!!!! remember one thing no one can fly an aircraft without being airworthy which is done by de unseen heroes…even de xxx knw al de things dey r not even bothered….
I have been working with this organisation and none of the points mentioned in the blog are valid .Its just an exaggerated blog to seek attention. It is one the top 25 companies to work for 2013 and that is a fact.
Thank you for your comment, Abhishek. Please do note that the letter was written by someone who claims to be a Blue flight crew member. Please also do note that the reason this was shared was so that well informed people, like you and the others, can share their thoughts on what may be false allegations. Rather than unverified employees anonymously venting their anger in a closed forum, it is only in an open forum that the truth come out. This website was emailed the letter, and shared to allow for a good discussion to clear the air.
Infact, some Blue members did mention that some of the contents of the original email are utter rubbish.
The Blue always believe in being hassle free and courtious.. I so wish Mr. XX who wrote the blog .. rather than talking like a loser, should have shown some respect towards his job and the airline who gives food to him and his family at the end of the day,,without fail!!
That too On Time!!!
Guys just don’t pay heed to this!!!
It’s insane.. Invalid and stupid!!!
Stay forever Blue!!!
Aishwarya Singh said:
Hassle free and courteous just to the passengers because they are your customers but what about the internal customers,
This letter reeks of a lack of maturity and understanding of what it takes to not just make a company function but also an economy.
I can personally vouch for this being a tremendous place to earn a living but more importantly grow and learn about focus, self decipline, problem solving and have great relationships and fun through all of it.
In fact a lot of the points are the very things that it a great place to work. The constant dialouge with our aspirational president, who i would like to add is a tremendous human being, the budgets for making a human connection (though we are low cost). Its the discipline and focus on efficiciency while balancing out the human side through lots of conversations, coaching and spending social time together that make this company great.
I could go point by point and give a perspective on each just for the sake of education to the people involved, but to start here is high level view.
This letter is not just an accusatory finger to IndiGo but also, various business forum, industry bodies, the regulatory authorities and everyone. All these various bodies that continue rigourous audits and studies as they certify and award this beloved company that is a second home.
The world is talking about change, economic slowdown and how to make growth and industry function for the greater good of all.
This letter is represenative of the saying “bite the hand that feeds”. And is a way that not just an organisaion delivering good can be brought down but also an entire economy ruined. And then people wonder why “India is always on the verge of greatness, but never really gets there”. But take a look at corporate India, we are creating jobs and winning global awards while parts of the world even the erstwhile giants like europe go a begging.
This is usually seen in people early on in their careers and can be easily paralleled with children rolling on the floors of the shopping malls cause didn’t get what their want in the mall.
The deep frustration about different rewards for differnt roles, very personal attcks, sense of mistrust and level of suspicion clearly call for counselling to be able to cope with life.
Try wiriting something on fb if you are working with a Big 4.
No ‘one’ is invincible. But it is staying together and working through changing times that make one stand. Then again we all learnt this in school.
With all greatness, comes responsibility. And i hope individuals will shoulder their part of the rsponsibility for us to stay a great company, a growing economy into the future.
I personally like, “This is usually seen in people early on in their careers and can be easily paralleled with children rolling on the floors of the shopping malls cause didn’t get what their want in the mall.”. Thank you for your views, much appreciated, SS!
You want to know how IndiGo makes profits? there is no need to file a PIL, read this –
Way to go Blues. You will come with flying colors soon. Don’t let these idiots exploit you anymore. There will be a lot more to back you. Go to the media and do whatever is possible . Luck !
To all the 150 pilots
I m a part of this company and to be very honest I agree to the fact that tge salaries are low in blue . But that doesnt mean it isnt a good place to work.Blue airline has been successfull today only because of its spirit that each one of us holds. D person wants all d right of being a blue pilot.to be given priority for command for blue first officers but he himself has forgot d spirit we hold otherwise he would not have written such an email. This is no way to put ur demands. Also what he is talking about the CEO is very wrong. Being a CEO he has been actively involved and not interfering. This gentleman needs to understand the difference. I dnt know any airline where d CEO try and find out time to meet from the loaders to tge pilot. He has a much busier schedule than u have still he is willinv to help and change things as much as he can. The gentlman writes that no action to be taken against a pilot if he refuses to fly on reserve . Being a flier he should know this that a person is expwcted to fly whenevr he is pulled out under his reserve time. What are u here for otherwise? Company has not hired u to sit on ur ass and do no work. D way flying wd just min rest period is wrong similarly refuaing flights on reserve is wrong. No airline in this world is perfect and so arnt we. But evryobe can put there small bit towards making it perfect. I m not saying u shouldnt voice ur opinion. But like someony said washing ur dirty linens in public is no intelligence. As a part of blue I can proudly say we rnt perfect we have our flaws but what makes us successful ia the fact that we all work together towards making something which may be called almost perfect. We r no king or jet we r d blues n we r better than d rest.
I have been flying for seven years with this airline and it makes me sick in my stomach that my fellow pilot colleagues forget that when the airline industry went into a recession Mr G is the one who stood by us and not one pilot was fired and every month new pilots are being hired. new fresh CPL holders who have no jobs. They are being paid a stipend even today when no other airlines wants to even meet them for an interview.
these bloody pilots are thinking like they are the only one who have an important role
these beggars just know how to fly ,but we ENGINEERS only know how its flying
after few years pilot less aircraft also going to launch
with a 4 strap on shoulders dont think like u r the hero
for getting an on time result even a helper hav to do his job on time
I have been working in the security team for the last 2 years and pilots refuse to show their AEP and make us say sorry if we ask for it which actually is an SOP for us.
Every1 talking abt the facilities for cabin nd cockpit crew only…..guys wht abt “GROUND STAFF” are the not human….who makes every passengers flying experience wonderful……from starting point reservations til arrival….who is responsible “GROUND STAFF”……still the ground staff is paid less…..experinced staff inside the company only gettin paid less and giving more salary packages to oustiders wht the F**K…..is ground staff not human?????
richa sharma said:
Wowww…….be ready Mr.CEO….being a x crew wid the conpany i can relate all the problems nd demands written here……but i wish cabin crew wud also b included in d same coz they go thru d same torture…..good luck guys….really wish if company can listen moreover understand wat u ppl r trying to say nd ask…..go ahead…..
Aishwarya Singh said:
I truly agree with you Richa even i am an ex employee of blue and have been harassed badly
ATUL KUMAR SINGH said:
Its exploitation . Employers r being suckd frm last 4 years.
soni sharma said:
It should be for cabin crew also and we request u to support as .
Pilots and air hostess salaries hiked…..but Engineering (especially Technicians) get F**ed ……stil getting 8500 Rs in hand….Just think how 99.98 % technical dispatch reliability came….this s one of the world best…..In INDIGO “”TECH FORCE ” is considered as 3rd rated.!!!!!!!!
one more thing ….Technicians basic salary is 3700-4300……!!!!!!!!!! I think this is enough….Not more to say anything else….
Pingback: Senior IndiGo pilots leave to join Tata-SIA - Bangalore Aviation